Final Grading Instructions

Final grades are OFFICIAL. That means that they will be on transcripts and will appear on a student’s academic history.

Final Grades

  • Every registered student should receive a final grade. Final grades will be viewable once they have been rolled to Academic History during the grading period. Grades are rolled to academic history daily, at 11:00 and 24:45.
  • Be sure you enter final grades before the published deadline.
  • IMPORTANT: Final grades should be entered within the 60 minute time frame allotted. It’s recommended to save frequently to avoid losing data. If you exceed this time limit, you will be required to login again to the Faculty Self-Service. To avoid exceeding this limit, please submit all grades for students within a section at one time.

How to Submit Final Grades

Information on how to submit Final Grades through Banner Self Service can be found on the Enrollment Technologies website.

Important Grading Information

  • Students who have officially withdrawn from a course and received a grade of W or WE do not need a grade assigned.
  • A grade of U or F, you must enter the date of the student’s last participatory action in your course.
    1. If the student did not participate in your course and you cannot confirm they were ever in attendance, enter the date for the first day of class in the Last Attend Date field and a zero (0) in the Attend Hours field.
    2. If the student participated in a course activity (ie, group assignment, quiz, exam, etc.), enter the date of the last activity in the Last Attend Date field.
    3. If the student participated for the entire term, including the exam, enter the date for the last day of class in the Last Attend Date field. Note: Do not use the final exam date.
  • A grade of I is assigned at your discretion when a student, who is otherwise passing, has not completed all the work in a course due to circumstances beyond their control.
  • A grade of IP is only assigned for prearranged courses extending over more than one semester and is NOT to be used as a substitute for an Incomplete.
  • Grades not submitted by the deadline will be assigned an NG grade and will require a grade change.

Grade Options

Grades included in the standard grade mode, pass/no credit grade mode, and audit grade mode:


  • Undergraduate – A, B, C, D, F or I
  • Graduate – A, B, C, U or I

Pass/No Credit

  • Undergraduate – P (Pass) or N (No Credit) H (Honors/High Pass**) or I (Incomplete)
  • Graduate – P (Pass) or U (Unsatisfactory) or I (Incomplete)

**During the 2020-2021 academic year and due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the H grade is used to indicate a high pass or a successful credit by exam.


  • AU (Audit) or NR (No Record)

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I change a grade that I have already submitted?

    • Grades will be rolled to the student’s Academic History at 11:00 and 24:45 every day. If you would like to update a student’s grade before the grades are rolled, you are able to make the update through the Final Grades page. If the original grade has been rolled to Academic History, you must request a grade change.
    • To begin the grade change process, select Grade Change Menu under the Faculty & Advisors tab in Banner Self-Service. If you would like to change a grade for a course offered prior to Fall 2006, please contact your department. Complete online grade change instructions.
  • What if the student is registered but has never come to class?
    • A student with the status of “Registered” or “Web Registered” is officially enrolled and must have a grade submitted. Therefore submit the grade that reflects the student’s level of participation in the course. If a registered student has never attended class then please select the grade of “F” or “U” from the Grade drop down box.