How to update preferred first name
- “Preferred first name” is the name you would like to be addressed as in emails, classroom settings, or everyday conversations. It may differ from your legal name.
- To view or update your preferred first name, log in to MyCharlotte > My Tasks/Announcements >Personal Information > Personal Information.
Preferred First Name (PFN)
- The chart below shows where preferred first name (PFN) is currently being utilized, planned for in the future, and which areas are unable to utilize due to state or federal reporting requirements.
- Please check back often as this will be updated as new systems are added/updated.
- Class Roster Awareness: Class rosters can be pulled from Canvas or Self-Service Banner. Canvas rosters (preferred) will utilize PFN, but Self-Service Banner (SSB) rosters will not. SSB will only display legal first name. Please be aware of this difference and know that we are addressing in our next SSB upgrade.
|Currently using PFN||Planning to use, or researching the use of, PFN in future||Will not use PFN3|
|49er ID card1||Archibus (Facilities Management System)||Bursar/Student accounts|
|Academic Petition||Banner Self Service (waiting on SSB9 go-live)
- Class Rosters
- Grade Submission
- Advisee Reports
|Campus Reporting (Some reporting retains legal first name externally.)|
|Advising Transcript (in Self-Service Banner)||Canvas (Learning Management System)
- Grade Submission
- Advisee Reports
|Appeals System (satisfactory academic progress & academic suspension appeals)||My49erNetwork||Enrollment Verifications|
|Campus Labs (course evals)||
Niner Research (electronic research administration system) - work to begin 12/6/22 (ETA - early spring 23)
|Campus Reporting (most have been updated, but this is ongoing)||Niner Talent (PeopleAdmin) Performance Management and Position Management||International Student Visa Status|
|Canvas (Learning Management System)
- Class Rosters
|Unofficial Transcripts (waiting on SSB9 go-live)||Official Transcripts|
|Career Center Systems||Payroll|
|Chancellor's & Dean's List (online listing and congratulatory notifications to permanent home addresses) Starting Fall 2021||Student Health Insurance|
|Connect (Advising System)|
|DegreeWorks (Degree Audit)2|
|Email display name/alias (Gmail)4|
|Hire-A-Niner (student employment)|
|Housing & Residence Life (assignments/rosters)|
|Kronos WorkForce Timekeeping|
|MobileOrder App (campus restaurants)|
|NameCoach (voice-recorded & phonetic spelling - used during commencement)|
|Niner Connection (Alumni Online Community)|
|Niner Engage (student orgs)|
|Niner Scholars (email & award correspondence)|
|Niner Talent Employment Application|
|NinerWorks (non-student temp employees/graduate assistantships hiring)|
|Online People Finder|
|Qualtrics (survey & analysis tool)|
|Salesforce (Niner Central)|
- Grad Admission Application
- Undergrad Admission Application
- Undergrad Re-Enrollment Application
- SOAR Orientation RSVP System
|Zoom Profile (web conferencing)|
1 49er ID card: Please be aware that if you have plans to use your 49er ID card for various legal, immigration, employment or voting purposes, the name listed on your 49er ID card may not match records maintained by other agencies outside of Charlotte.
Frequently Asked Questions
Many members of the Charlotte community use a preferred first name that differs from their legal first name. These may include individuals who prefer to use:
- a middle name instead of a first name
- an anglicized name
- a name that most aligns with an individual's gender identity
- a name to which the individual is in the process of legally changing
At Charlotte, we strive to create a personal experience consistent with being a member of the Niner community.
- Charlotte reserves the right to deny a request to include a preferred first name (PFN) if the request constitutes a misrepresentation, is fraudulent, or otherwise violates a University Policy and/or the Code of Student Responsibility.
- These issues related to misuse of the PFN process will be referred to the Dean of Student's Office or Office of Human Resources for investigation, review and possible referral to other units on campus.
After submitting your preferred first name in Banner Self Service, allow 24 hours for your record to update and export to the 49er ID card system. You may then request a new 49er ID card at the 49er Card Office located in the Auxiliary Services Building, at the ID Office located in the Popp Martin Student Union or at the Center City Campus.
Please be aware that if you have plans to use your 49er ID card for various legal, immigration, employment or voting purposes, the name listed on your 49er ID card may not match records maintained by other agencies outside of Charlotte.
First, determine where your reporting data originates. There are many ancillary systems on campus that provide data, including the Office of the Registrar. Once you have identified the office responsible for providing the data, reach out and request that preferred first name is used, if available. It will be helpful to include the name of the report or system you are referencing.
For Office of the Registrar supplied data, contact Jessica Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some campus departments interact with and send reports to federal, state, and other government agencies that verify the identity of a student, faculty, or staff by using their legal name and other personally identifiable information that prohibits the use of preferred first names. View the System Updates chart to see where preferred first name will not be used.
Even though these systems may not be using preferred first name, Charlotte is still committed to using preferred first name when interacting with students and colleagues. It is important to use one's preferred first name to create a more welcoming and affirming campus environment, as a way to personalize the Charlotte experience.
What if I intentionally do not use a student, staff, or faculty member’s preferred first name and/or preferred gender pronoun?
What if I unintentionally use a student, staff, or faculty member’s legal name instead of their preferred first name?
We are striving to create an ethically responsible, respectful, and inclusive campus environment in alignment with the vision and values of the university. If you unintentionally use a student's or employee's legal first name, correct yourself once you notice or when feedback is provided, apologize, and continue to practice utilizing preferred first name.
If the unintentional use of preferred first name is a result of confusion with an LGBTQ student, we encourage you to attend Safe Zone training to become more aware of how important it is to use a correct preferred name with the LGBTQ community. For other training opportunities, reaching out to knowledgeable offices, such as Title IX, Human Resources, etc. is encouraged.